Low Fire Glazes
Low Fire glazes offer a wide range of colors and effects with a lower firing temperature. Suitable for brightly colored pottery, earthenware sculpture, and school projects. Choose from our ten glaze series with firing temperatures between Cone 04 and 06. 1828 - 1945F (998-1063C.)
- (A) Artist's Choice These special effect glazes imitate traditional Artist/Potter's favorites. They are Cone 05 oxidation glazes that look like high fired reduction stoneware glazes. Effects like Temmoku, Rutile, Oil Spot, and other reduction surfaces are achieved without the cost or trouble of high fire reduction. They can be fired over any AMACO® lowfire clay, however they look best over dark or red firing clay like AMACO's 67-M. The color in the clay will partially show through where there is texture and adds dimension to the glaze. Because of this effect, these glazes will look completely different depending on the clay body on which they are applied.
- (CTL) Crystaltex Amaco Crystaltex liquid glazes are a brilliant mix of bright, glossy colors that are speckled with colored glaze crystal bursts. These glazes are perfect for unique ceramic vessels and dishes, and could be perfect for an interesting surface for sculptural ceramic work. All the unique beauty of crystalline glazes without the complicated firing process.
- (F) F-Series AMACO® (F) LEAD FREE glazes were created in 1950 as America's first all Lead Free glaze series . They are semi-opaque and fire with a high gloss. Colors are more intense and brilliant than those of many other glazes. They are recommended for dinnerware as well as all types of pottery made from AMACO® pottery clays.
- (LG) Low Fire Gloss AMACO® Gloss Glazes fire to a smooth, glossy finish at a witness Cone 05. Always slow fire lead free glazes for best results. AMACO® Gloss Glazes flow slightly during firing to a high gloss finish, while correcting most application imperfections.
- (LM) Low Fire Matt The AMACO Low Fire Matt glaze series is a group of satin-matt glazes that boast a bright, lively color palette and a buttery soft surface after firing. Unlike more fluid glazes, these glazes are stiff and will not flow in the kiln, making them perfect for certain types of decorative techniques and surface treatment for both pottery and sculptural ware. (The LM cups were created by artist Justin Rothshank.)
- (O) Opalescent Although AMACO® Opalescent Glazes may be used on any AMACO® clay, they develop their greatest opalescence and most interesting textures when applied over red burning AMACO® Sedona Red Clay No. 67. The AMACO® Opalescent Glazes have a high gloss finish when fired. Best results are achieved with three or four applications of glaze. On textured ware, the glaze flows thin on relief and thick in incised areas, giving an added dimension on the surface.
- (ST) Stone Texture These glazes have a smooth, unique stone-like surface when fired over a mature Cone 04 bisque. The ST glaze series flows a little in the firing, settling in the crevices and towards the bottom of a vertical surface. Therefore, when applied over a textured surface they will produce antique-like variations or a weathered and worn out look on the higher relief areas of the piece. Because they move slightly, care should be taken to taper down the glaze application towards the bottom of the piece so that the piece will not stick to the kiln shelf during firing.
- (LT) Textured Alligator No two pieces glazed with AMACO® Textured Alligator Glazes are ever alike due to the many variations in texture which occur in firing. For best results apply on mature Cone 04 (1971°F/1044°C) bisque. Glaze fire to Cone 05 (1911°F/1044°C) at slow speed.
- (TP) Teacher's Palette AMACO® Teacher's Palette® (TP) And Teacher's Choice® liquid gloss glazes are completely intermixable so they can be blended with each other or with any of the AMACO® Teacher's Choice® (TC) glazes to create an infinite color palette. The 24 glazes are AP certified, LEAD FREE, dinnerware safe, offer brilliant color, and are safe for use by artists of any age. Try layering patterns and designs with these glazes for a brilliant majolica-style decorative surface.
- (TPL) Teacher's Palette Light AMACO® Teacher's Palette Light® (TPL) liquid gloss glazes are bright, translucent glazes that are the newest addition to the Teacher's Palette® family. The TPL’s are completely intermixable so they can be blended with each other to create an infinite color palette. All 12 glazes are AP certified, LEAD FREE, dinnerware safe, offer brilliant color, and are safe for use by artists of any age. These playful glazes look great over Velvet Underglazes and textured surfaces!
- (TC) Teacher's Choice Dinnerware safe Teacher's Choice are soft, non-flowing glazes that are easy to apply and fire. Both TC and TP glazes contain the same base materials so they blend easily and offer consistent, predictable results each time. They can be layered by brushing or slip trailing on top of each other without bleeding, distortion, or glaze interaction, These glazes fire true to color from the bottles- great for classrooms!
- Class Packs and Sets Our most popular low fire glazes in convenient sets for studio or classroom.
- Dipping Glazes Formulated for dipping. Dip the Cone 04 ( 1971F /1044 C ) bisque fired piece into the glaze, lift it out and turn it over, allowing excess glaze to pour out. Fire to mature Cone 05 (1911F /1031C)