Clay Tips & Tricks: Slab Plates with Reusable Stencils
by AMACO brent
Follow along in our latest Tips & Tricks video as we walk you through building a slab plate using a hump mold, the versatile uses of Velvet Underglazes as well as creating your own reusable plastic stencils.
Have video suggestions? Let us know!
Part 1: Building a Slab Plate using a Hump Mold
Follow along in this video as we walk you through building a slab plate using a hump mold!
- Clay (We used AMACO Sedona Red Clay No. 67)
- Rubber Rib
- Hump Mold
- Scoring Tools
- Fettling Knife
- Roll out a slab & smooth with a rubber rib.
- Cut out a circle.
- Place slab over the hump mold.
- Use a rib to smooth & compress the slab down to the mold.
- Score & slip a circle then attach a coil for a foot.
- Use an exacto knife to create a flat edge for the foot. Allow to sit until leather hard.
Part 2: Using Velvet Underglazes with Reusable Plastic Stencils
Follow along in this video as we demonstrate how to create your own reusable plastic stencils and decorate with Velvet Underglaze!
- Glue Stick
- Scissors or Exacto Knife
- Plastic Sheeting
- Print or draw a design on paper.
- Use a glue stick to attach the paper to the plastic sheeting.
- Use sharp scissors or an exacto blade to cut out the stencil.
- PRO TIP: Remove plastic from paper & you now have a reusable stencil.
- Underglaze x 2 colors (We used AMACO Velvet Underglazes: V-332 Teal Blue and V-354 Leaf Green)
- Paint Brushes
- Underglaze Applicator (We filled ours with AMACO Velvet Underglaze V-370 Velour Black)
- Paint on two even coats of V-332 Teal Blue as a base.
- After the underglaze is firm, use water to help the stencil stick to the plate.
- Paint over the stencil with two even coats of V-354 Leaf Green.
- Draw a design with V-370 Velour Black on top of the plate using an underglaze applicator.
- Use an exacto knife to remove the plastic stencil once the underglaze is dry.
- After bisque firing, glaze with LM-10 for a nice, satin surface and fire to Cone 05. Rinse the stencils and repeat!
10 3/4" Salad Plate Drape Mold
Scissors or Exacto Knife
- LM-10 Transparent Matte