Product DescriptionAn ultra lightweight carving and sculpting material for beginners as well as experienced crafters. Check out our Balsa-Foam® with Velvet Underglazes Printing Kit!
Carves like butter,
Paints like wood!
Ideal for children and class art projects!
Balsa-Foam® is different from other plastic foams because it can be easily carved with traditional and non-traditional hand tools to create the shape and design you want. It can then be decorated with any paint just like balsa wood.
Balsa-Foam® (soft density) is great for students because it's easier to sculpt and does not require the use of sharp tools. Balsa-Foam® (hard density) is still easy to carve and shape like Balsa-Foam® soft density but the higher density holds intricate detail and is more durable.
Since Balsa-Foam® has no "memory" or rebound, it will hold an impression. This means you can create detailed shapes by simply pressing any object into the surface. A steel ruler can be used to make push cuts as a way to cut out more complex interior shapes. Carving knives and chisels virtually glide through Balsa-Foam® soft density and cut relatively easily through Balsa-Foam® hard density. Experiment with all sorts of tools to find the ones that work best for you.
Balsa-Foam® is available in seven sizes (both densities) and eight classpacks. Classpack sizes include:
(40) 4 1/2" x 6" x 1/2" pieces (soft density)
(20) 6" x 9" x 1/2" pieces (soft density)
(36) 1 1/2" x 2" x 5" pieces (soft density)
(24) 2 1/4" x 2" x 5" pieces (soft density)
(48) 3" x 3" x 1/2" pieces (soft density)
(24) 2'' x 2'' x 2'' pieces (soft density)
(24) 2'' x 2'' x 2'' pieces (hard density)
(48) 3'' x 3'' x 1/2'' pieces (hard density)
Tips for using Balsa-Foam®:
• Most glues work well with Balsa-Foam® including wood glue, hot glue. When bonding two blocks of Balsa-Foam® to make a larger block for carving, keep the adhesive well inside the ultimate shape to avoid having a glue seam that is difficult to carve across
• Any type of water-based or solvent-based paint or coating can be used to decorate your Balsa-Foam® project. An initial coat of Krylon spray paint will help seal the foam.
• Balsa-Foam® is non-toxic however the dust can cause eye irritation. Do not rub eyes while using and wash hands after using. The use of safety goggles and/or dust mask are recommended when sanding or using power tools
Balsa-Foam® is a registered trademark of American Foam Technologies.
|Unit of Measure||EA|